Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chapter 16

    Never thought, that the most happiest normal people alive in front of my eyes, are actually planning to let go of each other. Seeing Chloe in the situation she’s going through, made me think twice was I even having my own family to go back to? Will mum and dad stay the same as they promised each other in god’s will when they last say “I do” to each other?
 I planned to go home earlier, not staying. Expecting that my family would fall apart just like hers. Making an excuse for not being okay for the time being. But Chloe was the reason I stayed anyway. 


    “Chloe,” I whispered, pointing out the window at the small blaze. “We should go out tonight”- “You know, you and I? Dinner?” it sounded like a date between us girls. Chloe looked like she had been drunk instead of having a puff before. Her body smelled like a walking cigarette plus a bottle of alcohol just when I leaned towards her, the smell of her breath that combined with the smoke and of course, some sort of alcoholic drink I don’t find the interest to know the sort of it.


    “Dinner, at this hour?” looking at the giant wall clock with the big ticking sound to be heard down our eardrum. “I guess, we should” she gave a grin, and just as she was heading upstairs in the intention of actually getting ready. The door bell rang. She looked at me, as though I’m the owner of the house. I leaned back; my shoulders hit the wall, and shook my head repeatedly if I invited the wrong company. “I wasn’t expecting anyone” I said, crossing my arms, and looking right at her. “Well, I wasn’t expecting anyone either.” She makes those little footsteps as she got down the stairs and opened the door slowly in a quick way.


“Jeremy” Chloe turned her head back at me, giving me that look. “Told you I wasn’t expecting anyone” she said. I went over and pushed Jeremy outside the door near the porch area. 


“Are you okay?” Jeremy’s eyes were all over my body from head to toe. His face was as pale as a blank sheet of paper. “I think I should be the one asking you that question” I pulled him close to me, and giving him a slight hug trying to listen to his heartbeat. At that time, I actually felt closer to him more than before. “You know something...” I stopped, tilting my head up facing his eyes as they look down helplessly on me. 


“Yes?” he grabbed my hands and smoothed my cheeks with his fingers. “Nothing” I said, giving a big smile at him. Not noticing that my car was already parked in front of Chloe’s house. All polished and clean.


“You took if for a wash?” I said, as I tilted my head, looking around for my car keys in his bare hands. “Yeah, I guess I won’t be bringing you around anymore” he reached out for my car keys and handed it out to me. Not saying a word. 


“What do you mean?”eyes still on the car, surprised.


He stopped and turned his head back at me. “Since your car is back in your good gracious. I’m sure you won’t need my assistance to drive you around anymore” he gave a lazy laugh, expecting me to actually comfort him for no good reasons. The skies were getting darker now, and wind was howling making spooky sounds. 


“Ready?” Chloe walked out the door, already locking it behind her. She wore a silver shirt with leggings and a pair of high cut leather shoes. I, standing there empty handed.”Wait up, my purse!” I took the keys from her, and heard Jeremy’s footsteps landed back hard o the porch. “You girls, going out?” he looked at Chloe. And I stopped, turned the door knob and ran into the house to look for my purse. 


“Yeah, Lea thought of taking me out for dinner. You could come with if you want to” she said. 
“You mean if Lea actually had the courtesy to invite me in the first place?” he stood there, smiling and just waiting for an answer.


I walked out the door and locked it behind me. “You should come, if you want to” I said, figuring out why I didn’t actually invite him in the first place to walk around this awkward scene. 
“Yeah, you should come with” Chloe said, with her hand still inside her big brown bag, looking for something. And just that, her bag slipped from her hands and fell on the floor, the crumpled packet of cigarettes was flying across the porch along with her make-up sets. Chloe stopped to give a stare at me, and I quickly picked it up. Chloe was struggling to collect all her things from the floor. I knew I was in big trouble when Jeremy came over to me, and snatched the packet of cigarettes from me while opening the lid. 


“Hmph” he said, as he shook the packet near his ear and counting them one by one and took a step back to Chloe. “You’ve been smoking huh?” he asked. “So I have” she snatched the packet from him and shoving it right back into her bag, getting up quickly. 


“Since?” following her from behind.


“It’s none of your business Jeremy” Chloe walking faster with bigger steps below her.


“It is, since you’re my best pal’s girlfriend.” He said, grabbing her bag on the left side, pulling it over, wanting to take the packets of cigarettes away from her. She pulled it back to her chest with great force and anger. “You have no right to do whatever it is you’re doing now! It’s my life!” she shouted.


 Looking at them quarrelling, while I felt so guilty just standing there doing nothing. Wondering what would happen if Jeremy found out I was smoking with her earlier. I believe I would have been strangled. Being questioned yet again.


“You don’t have to” he said, calmly while putting his hands on Chloe’s shoulders. 
Chloe was irritated enough, if I was in her place. I'll know.
“Look J, it’s just a cigarette. It’ll kill me when I get older. So what? I don’t want to live anymore longer” she said calmly.


“It’s just cigarettes, you guys smoke too right?” Chloe made a point that kept Jeremy quiet as he let her shoulders go.


“Boys and girls...are different” Jeremy looked at me, as I was making my slow walk down to them, then look back at Chloe,  frowning.


“To me, everyone is the same” she argued.


“Hey, look, the skies are getting darker. We should go. Shall we?” my right hand was holding on the Chloe’s hand, and the other was holding on to Jeremy’s arm. Smiling like a retard when I know well that I’m being sandwiched with a pair of cat and dogs. And the box of cigarettes was the fish or the bone to fight after for.


“You guys should go. I change my mind” Chloe started walking down the pathway, kicking away small pebbles that made one hit the trash can. “Chloe..” I ran after her. “Come on, let’s just forget about this. Please?” still try to convince her to come with.


“Let’s go, to dinner” I said, giving out a smile.


“Yeah, you girls should go. Don’t worry, I won’t intrude. I just wanted to pass Lea her car.”
Chloe didn’t look at him; she looked away at the sky that grew darker now. Jeremy pushed me over to her while he kissed my hand. “You girls have fun alright? Just give me a ring. Anything.” He walked down to his car as he waved back at me.


I wasn’t angry, or disappointed he couldn’t come with. I did promised Chloe that I would bring her to dinner.


“I’m sorry” I said, as we’re in the car. Chloe, still kept quiet, struggling with the seatbelt, as she kept pulling but it just won’t budge smoothly. My car was in good condition, only the radio stations were a bit off. Everything was in order, I was glad that Jeremy kept it in good hands as he promised. “I’m fine” she finally spoke, grabbing the crumpled packets of cigarettes tightly and she just nodded her head down. Silence, as I didn’t know how to console her, or the right words to actually say. I wasn’t comfortable, but I knew I had to be there.


    “Where do you want to go?”I stopped to look at her, letting her make the decision. Tears were falling slowly down her eyes. I was about to comfort her, but she winded down the window and threw the packet of cigarettes right out my car, flying out. She put her hand out of the window, to feel the strong wind breeze on her face. 


“Chloe, I think I should bring you home” changing my mind.


“No” – “Keep driving” she look forward and pointed at the Rose Petal signboard which already lit up with plenty of customers waiting to be seated outside. I, tapping on the steering wheel and Chloe already unfasten her seatbelt. “Well?” she said, waiting for me to park the car.


I parked my car next to a souvenir shop,as silent as a mouse, I barely know we had a souvenir shop  a little further away from Rose Petals.


“I’m sorry I didn’t make a reservation earlier. Gosh, I'm so stupid!” Sounded disappointed, still looking at the busy crowd waiting patiently to get in. Our stomachs were grumbling. Making odd noises, I brush my hair with my fingers making them look a little messy.


“Don’t bother, what are junk food for?” Chloe got down from my car, and I followed her footsteps as she walked into a burger hut I didn’t know existed. It was new in town, as no signboards were attached and promotions were flying across the walls. Colourful pictures of burgers, looking so delicious all calling out for my stomach, urging to eat them all up.


“I used to come here with my father, have our lunch when mum is just too lazy to cook up a meal” Chloe said,smiling holding on to the menu as we sat at the corner of the shop.


“Now, that he’s gone..I guess not anymore” I could see that she had very little memories with her father, and only by just having a meal at the burger hut was the most memorable thing she ever had. She looked around at the walls, looked like she was suffocating herself slowly. I could tell she missed him a lot, but she just couldn't do anything to change it. I couldn't do anything to change it either. 


“I’m sure your mum would be glad to come with you next time.You could bring Leon, and Me if you want to. I'll be glad to accompany you here though.” Try to say something nice.


Chloe stretched out her arms and gave out a yawn. "It's not the same" she said.


“So, what can I get for you today?” a waitress that was in a big hot dog suit came and startled me. Wondered if she was actually sweating beneath those thick costume she had to put on, she must have find her job rather annoying.


“A set of cheese burger and barbeque sauce with fries thank you.” she answered. “Same” I said, leaning back and hold on to the napkin that was folded into a perfect square at the middle of the table.


“Are you okay Chlo?” I leaned forward. “Why shouldn’t I be?” she smiled.


She looked unhappy, even though she had the most beautiful smile compared to me and May. We would always smile awkwardly, but Chloe’s didn’t have to show any white teeth, with just a smirked. Her smile was considered the best smile that deserved an award.


“Two sets of cheese burgers” the waitress came, and put two big giant burgers in front of us. I totally figured that I was eating a big steak or a lamb shank for that matter. I knew I couldn't swallow them all, but Chloe was already digging in her meal.


She suddenly stopped and took a sip of her drink, and just looked at me.


“You know Lea, Jeremy is very lucky to have a girl like you” she said. “ I’m lucky to have known you” she continued.


"Really?" I took it as a joke, laughing. Not thinking I was ever considered lucky enough to be with anyone, or even close to be appreciated.


"Well, of course." she said.
"Come on Chloe,but of course you'll say that, I mean, we've been best girls since like ever. We know each other well." grabbed a slice of the french fry.


"And no one knows me better than you"-" I mean it" she said


I stopped and look at her. Chloe sounded serious, like she was going to leave me or as if something bad was going to happen between us.


“You’re not leaving me are you?” I put down my burger and wipe the ketchup from my mouth with the napkin.


She shook her head and gave out a grin. “Silly girl, I would never leave you. Not like Leon did, now he was a jerk” we both laugh together.


“Yeah right, you better not” I smiled and continue eating.


"Lea, have you ever been in love with a girl before?" she asked. " I mean, other than guys. That sudden attraction between you and a female version? Have you?"she leaned forward with her arms crossed. I almost choked on my burger that was half eaten by me.


"Excuse me?".


"Nothing, its fine. Forget it"she answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment