Friday, February 11, 2011

Chapter 1

   I kept staring at the clock instead of staring at my teacher’s bad hand writing on the black board. Counting the last few minutes for my high school days to be finally over and flowing down the drain. I could already hear the birds chirping outside the window just waiting for me to set foot out of the door way and they would just take off above me. That would be awesome wouldn’t it?
I looked around my class filled with only 13 students. Total used to be 25, but I guess most of them decided to take off and early break. I would be listed in one of their groups but sadly my parents aren’t that fun to have me skip my last days of school. So there I was, biting my lips and waiting for the clock to strike 1pm.

My two good friends May and Chloe was already leaning against the table and I could already predict them running for the door and banging into each other.
The bell rang and everyone threw their books up high above the air, and ran out of the door. I was also one of them of course. I was in between May and Chloe with their arms around my shoulders. We’re the three musketeers in bravery and we stick to each other like milk and cheese. We’ve known each other since pre-k, and we have been good friends ever since. May kept taking pictures of us 3 with every step we took. She says she’s making a scrap book of our memories together here in high school, me and Chloe didn’t like the idea, because we’re not that fond of taking pictures. We practically skipped school so that we won’t have to get our pictures taken for the school’s year book. Besides from May that is, she is the queen of pictures.

Jeremy came around surprisingly and hugged May from the back making her accidently took a picture of the floor. Jeremy was May’s true love desire, that’s what she calls him. They look almost like the most made to be couple ever in high school history. I could see how she looks at him, sometimes I could even feel her heartbeat beating in mine whenever Jeremy gives a peck on her cheeks. Her urge for Jeremy affected both me and Chloe. Sometimes we even got more excited when she told us about her date with Jeremy. We wouldn’t know because we never really had that one person that would stick by us. Me and Chloe are best on our own, but we never influenced May to be the same as us. She’s happy the way she is. And I prayed that it shall last for them both.

“ Hey Ladies, so how about we hit to the beach? And do some surfing?  I hear the waves are pretty tight” he kissed May’s cheeks hard and put his arms around her waist and pulled her closed while walking towards the door.

“ You don’t surf Jeremy” I smirked at him. Jeremy barely talks to me much, because sometimes I could just be too honest and guys get really intimidated by my sort of speech. But sometimes that is what guys find me attractive about.

“ Hey, I could learn can I? Besides I want you to meet  some of my buddies that I would like to introduce to you and Chloe. I know how summers can be, just thought  maybe you girls would like to hook up with some real dudes for a change”. There he goes again, always thinks that me and Chloe are dying for the sensational love struck. May was obviously smiling broadly while putting her bags behind his car trunk and helping us load ours as well. She was excited about it, me and Chloe? We just followed the flow without arguing. I mean, its summer. We should just enjoy everything we’ve got before it slips away right? So yeah. What the heck?



   “ So you girls go change and meet me at the water front alright?” Jeremy took off his shirt and pretended he was Jacob Black, having all those huge biceps and good old six packs that he thought would get me and Chloe drooling over him, apart from May when she’s already hugging him in his arms. I have to pull her away just so we could get our asses change into bikinis.

“ So, who do you think Jeremy is setting us up with this time?” Chloe asked me while she was brushing her hair in front of the big mirror.
“Don’t ask me, I’m not the one whose hanging around much with his weird friends, ever since he introduced us to Harry and Tom remember?”.
God, I could remember that day, those two guys were only in love with themselves. They didn’t even care to notice us though we were sitting at the exact same table. Harry was the straight cut looking guy and Tom has the cute innocent  look. But both of them, weren’t even trying to have a communication with us. They barely even talked, and me and Chloe had to pay the bill at the end. What a disaster date.

“ It better not be Harry and Tom”

“ Don’t worry girls, I’m sure everything will go swell this time” May convinced us that this time, it would be for better for real. Me and Chloe just went along for May’s sake.

I landed my heavy ass on the white fine sand and put my shades on, watching May while she’s running and jumping into Jeremy’s arms. I looked around and didn’t spot anyone familiar, so I reached out for my sun tan lotion and put it all over my body. Chloe was lying next to me reading a book she bought the other day. It was a bright and sunny day, the waves hitting the beach were heard like melody through my ears. And the smell of not only fresh air, but freedom. I was so looking forward for this summer, and hope that something extraordinary would happen.
I was about to lie down when Jeremy came blocking the sun rays in front of me. His body was not that huge but it was huge enough to block the sun from me. I took down my shades and gave him the Steve Austin look.

“ Now whhat do you want?”

Jeremy didn’t say a word and he went over to Chloe’s side and pushed her book down, leaving her yelling at him for being rude.

“Heey! I was reading that !”. Before me and Chloe could even curse him for being a jerk. He pulled us up and asked us to follow him while pulling our hands side by side. We were like captive by a weird nemesis. Jeremy finally let our hands go as we stood in front of 2 guys with May standing in between them. I was expecting Jeremy to do the talking and the introduction of some awkward acquaintance with his friends. But May was the one babbling in excitement.


“ So guys, I would like you to meet Lea and Chloe” May pushed them towards me and Chloe and they almost fell on top of us. I can’t believe May did that, especially on our first meet. That Jeremy definitely influenced her big time.
Me and Chloe just smiled and gave them a friendly handshake. We were too busy eye-ing on Jeremy and May, planning in our own heads about how to punish them later. The guys were “ Leon and Tyler “. Leon was in front of me and Tyler was already standing next to Chloe, it was like an already planned out set up of who was supposed to be with who. Tyler and Chloe was already going for a walk on the beach. I could see them chatting and smiling from far. They definitely had a chemistry no one realizes it but themselves. Chloe was obviously blushing; I hadn’t seen her face so pink in a while now. Guess it went well for her.

    “ So I heard that you’ve just finished high school? Any plans for this summer?” Leon had green eyes and sharp features, his blond hair and his charming smile made me count to 10 before even answering his question.

“ Oh yeah, ex-high school student I am. Summer? I haven’t planned anything out just yet. What about you?” I was trying to drag him into spending time with me for the summer. I know I barely know this guy. But he seems nice and presentable. I was too distracted by the way he talks and his body language as he moves. Clearly I wasn’t listening to a word he was saying. Its like I’m not even there next to him. My head was definitely not sticking to my body. I was sorta floating away fast.

“ Lea? So what do you say?” I shook my head and rubbed my eyes a little. I smiled with my teeth and showing, trying hard to pretend not toact stupid around Leon. But who am I kidding? I didn’t hear a word he just said.

“ Sorry Leon, what did you asked me again?”

“ Well, I was wondering...”
Jeremy threw a volley ball and it hit right on top of my head, I could swore I felt a bump growing from inside. I stood up in anger and threw the ball right back to him, hitting on his chest, making him fell right down to the ground.

“ Boo YAH!!!” i shouted excitedly, then I looked down and Leon was looking at me in a surprise mode. Why on earth did I do an un-lady like thing in front of Leon? I sighed to myself and sit my ass back down and wait for Leon to excuse himself for  my behaviour. 


“You’ve got quite an arm there” Leon gave me a slight laugh.

Aww, he laughed about it. It was humiliating but he finds it humorous enough. Well it made me more comfortable to be around him more now. We talked about our backgrounds a little and compared our likes and dislikes. I could tell he was a keeper. A friend or even maybe in future, a boyfriend of my own right? Who knows right?
     Jeremy walked towards us while holding May’s hand tight, and Chloe was with Tyler giggling their way towards us. Jeremy invited us all for dinner at his dad’s new restaurant downtown. Everyone was dying for some food; my stomach was already growling and roaring like a lion in a circus cage. Leon and Tyler drove their own cars to the beach, and Chloe was already asking my permission and May’s if she could go for a drive in Tyler’s car. I’ve never seen her so excited before. She was totally happy.

“ And where do you think you’re going girl?” Jeremy stopped me from getting into his car. Okay, as much as I like to hit his face so much you can’t even imagined it but I knew he was trying to say something I wouldn’t like to hear.

“ Yeah babe, you should totally go with Leon. Chloe is going with Tyler. And all of us could meet at the restaurant. Besides, you guys could get to know each other more right?”
Leon heard what May said and without even having second thoughts, he took my bag pack from my hands and pulled my arms softly to his car. He opened the door and I quickly jumped in. I was breathing heavily like there was no oxygen left in me. I closed my eyes and fasten my seat belt.

“ You alright?” Leon fastened his own seat belt and started reversing the car. I nodded my head and turned on the radio. Three of us headed one straight line on the high road to Jeremy’s restaurant.  I apologize to Leon for not talking much as I suppose to, now that we still had some time alone together to actually get acquainted with each other. But Leon was as silent as a mouse too. But he didn’t had to do much talking, and neither do I. Because he was always smiling, and just by looking at him smile, my lips curved automatically into a broad smile.

  We combined two tables together.  The girls were seated on the right side, and the boys were on the opposite side. So everyone had their dates seated right in front of them, and everyone was keeping an eye on each other. I kept fixing my hair and biting my lips and looked over to May while she kept holding on to Jeremy’s hand. The table was jiggling a little and I could tell why. 

 Chloe was kicking Tyler’s feet playfully and they kept doing it over and over again. Giggling and joking about it. I was feeling kinda bad at that moment, for not having the same excitement as they were having when I’m with Leon.


We ordered our meals and everyone broke the ice. Jeremy was of course the one that couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

“You’re awfully quiet tonight Lea? Don’t you have anything to say to Leon?” May and Chloe agreed to what Jeremy had to say. So I have to admit I was quiet. I mean I wasn’t always this quiet, especially around guys. I’m the one that changes dull parties to the most twisted party ever. I’m usually the one that laugh the loudest and talks the most in every meetings. But tonight, I wasn’t myself at all.

“ Well Lea? We’re waiting”

“Shut up Jeremy” I was imagining in my head that I would walk over to his seat and flip him over with my Taekwondo moves I’ve learnt from Jackie C.

“ Are you always this quiet Lea?” Leon leaned against the table and looked deep into my eyes. He was so sweeping me off my feet by just looking at me that way. I stroked my hair back a couple of times. That’s sort of my signal of saying I’m good god nervous. I wanted to ask him questions but the words just won’t budge.  May and Chloe were concerned by the way I was reacting that got Chloe pinching my thigh making me squeaked a little. I was destroying my own date with a guy I really found interest in. I didn’t want to blow this chance away. I had to do something. If I can’t talk, maybe I could sing, or dance. I breathed in heavily and went over to the Jukebox, putting a coin in and picked out a song.
“ Mamma Mia was playing by ABBA” . I stood there in the middle  of the restaurant and everyone was staring at me as if they know I was going to do something stupid. Leon was staring helplessly with his green eyes focusing on the moves that I made. I moved to the left and hips to the right and did a little moon walk which almost made me slipped. I twist and turned round and round and Leon put his arms around my waist making me faced him as the music finally stopped.  The customers cheered for me and Chloe and May were whistling while Tyler and Jeremy banged on the table wooing. I was breathing heavily and Leon looked at me in such delighted stare.
“ I’m definitely going to ask you to teach me how to move like that” he smiled and I giggled.

The dinner went great, the companions were fulfilling everything went well. I pulled Jeremy aside and thank him in person for introducing me to Leon. But I had a hard time saying thanks because we never liked each other much. He finds me annoying and much as I do with him, but I appreciated for what he did for me and Chloe.

 Chloe and Tyler were exchanging digits using napkins and I caught Chloe giving a kiss on one of the napkins to leave a lip stick stain for Tyler. She was busted as I gave her a smirk and she just looked down while blushing.


“ I had a great night tonight, I hope we could see each other again” I wanted to ask for his number, but he didn’t gave me his. Besides, I have my own boundaries; no way is a girl asking a guy’s digits. That’s so retro. I was standing there squeezing my own hands tight hoping he would just do the same thing as Tyler and Chloe is doing now. Not the lipstick part ! Just the exchanging digits part.
Before I even had the guts to even ask for Leon’s digits, he shook my hand and headed for his car. He shook me hand? I presume he just wants us to be friends. I was so totally sulking inside, but just looking at him. I could even sulk at all. My face was smiling like a big fat Santa Claus saying “ Ho Ho Ho” I turned around and everyone went missing. I ran towards Jeremy’s car that was reversing, I tapped on the window continuously. He wind down the window and asked me to ask Leon for a lift back home. That was so not fair. I don’t mind walking, but asking me to ask Leon for a lift back home? You’ve got to be freaking kidding me. I was about to reach for my cell to call my dad, and Leon’s car was already parked in front of me as he honked twice expecting me to get in.
“ You don’t think I would have left  you here out in the cold now would you?” he turned off the radio and I turned it back on. I accidentally hit  a wrong button that got all the channels switched that went haywire. I was pressing everything and Leon didn’t say anything, but I could feel that he likes seeing me all so nervous and trying to fix his car radio.

“ Sing for me” I faced my head up, he looked at me and looked back on the road.
“Excuse me?” I leaned back on my seat and sat quietly grabbing my purse tight.

“ Well, you could dance, I’m sure you have no problem singing now. So sing. Besides it’s the only thing you could do to make it up for me for screwing up my radio.”

Damn, I thought to myself two performances in one night for someone I just knew? I could feel my voice sinking, and my throat was already slit in my mind. I was thinking of every excuse that I could give to let him not agree to hear me sing. I sighed heavily.  I continued clicking on all the buttons and hope for a miracle that the radio would be fine to save me from this about to happen humiliation.
Leon stopped my hands as he grabbed one of my hand firmly.
“ You do know that you’re only getting my radio more spoiled?” he giggled to himself. And I leaned back against my seat and pointed my way home. I didn’t say a word, and he didn’t requested any songs from me either.

 “ Thanks for the lift” I unfasten my seat belt and opened the car door, and his hand reached out for the handle closing the door back. My heart was beating fast, if he was trying to be funny. I did have a pepper spray in my bag. I breathe heavily in silence, and Leon just stared at me.
“ Since you’re not going to sing for me, maybe I should sing to you.” he sounded so confident and steady. He was already swallowing his saliva down his throat. I was expecting a low key or a much higher key. But his voice was just angels to my ears as he started to sing “ Fall for you by Secondhand Serenade”. My mouth went wide opened and my eyes didn’t even twitch. Not even a little. I was so amazed that I could shit in my pants that moment. I never had anyone serenade to me before. Especially from a cute guy? In a car? Take my breath away!
He sang the first verse and chorus then he stopped.

“ Woww.. you sing....That was...that was...” I have no idea what I wanted to say, but I’m sure he knows how swept of my feet was.
“ Glad you liked it, maybe we should sing together sometime" Are you kidding? I would totally be glad to have a ballad with him. He's so gorgeous, plus an amazing singer. Why on earth didn't Jeremy hook me up with him before?

" Its getting late, maybe I should go" I opened the door and set foot out of the car. I didn't wanted to say goodbye, but I had to before my parents come running down the house and I could picture in my head that mum would be holding on to her pots and pans and dad would be carrying a shovel. Cause I was so past my bed time. I waved Leon goodbye and he drove away shortly after that. I stood there near the side walk for almost 5 minutes before getting in my house. It was a splendid night, how I wished it didn't end. But one's thing for sure.
My summer, was about to get me amazed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment