Monday, February 14, 2011

Chapter 4


      Chloe kept ransacking her books from the highest shelves to the lowest in her room as I watched her rearranging the books in a very very non neatly way. I couldn’t see why she had any problem reaching those high shelves, she was already as tall as a twin giraffe, all that’s left of it was some antlers and some brown brick shaped spots and just a splash of yellow all over her body would make her the next sexy giraffe in national geographic. Hands down!

    “Where is it !!! I remember I put it here- I couldn’t find it anywhere!” she jumped down from the chair which still makes me wonder why she even needs it in the first place.

“What are you looking for Chloe?” I went over and took out my head as if I knew what she was actually looking for and turned the pages of a book on her study table that was left opened. She ignored me and was still talking to herself aggressively looking for that mysterious-i-have-no-idea-thing.

      Chloe looked over to her study table section where I was sitting soundly relaxed looking through blank pages of her newly bought exercise book. I followed her every move, looked as if she was sniffing, and looked as if she was actually haunting for meat. And I was as fresh as I could sweat the hell out of me if she would actually pounce on top of me.  She pushed me down the chair, and my legs and hands were showing up high, luckily her room was filled with comfy warm carpet wool so I wouldn’t mind falling on them anyway. I roll to the other side and get up on my ass.

“Here it is !!! Our friendship book!! Remember?” Chloe was jumping up and down excitedly and every time she goes excited about anything, her voice would automatically changes to one of those 5 year old girls when they are playing Barbie dolls at a playhouse or something. But that was one of her habits that make me like her really much. I took a closer look at this big book that had two layers stuck between them. It was part a note book like a journal, and below it was the photo album section. Funny I didn’t recognize it at all. Must have been centuries since I last held it in my hands.

Chloe pulled me to her bed and she crossed her legs together and just put the book laying down there on the pillow in front of us. Flipping the pages one by one as she introduced all our sweet memories we had together when we were young. Me, Chloe and May always sticks together like milk and cheese, and also butter.

“ Ooohh look, look, here is the time when you stuck May’s Barbie doll in the ice-cream cone, and she got really mad at you and she  took your ice-cream and stuck it to your head. See how funny you guys look?” Chloe pointing to the picture of me and May that was 8 when we messed each other up with ice-creams, and our mums would totally banned us from eating anther icicle anymore.

“OOOH, you remember this? The time when me and May decided to throw you into the sea on your 13 birthday party? And you couldn’t swim and we had to jump in a save your bloody ass?” Chloe giggled as she changed her positioned and lay horizontally.

“Hey, I had improvement of my swimming alright? Never underestimate Miss Lea!” we laughed about our silly moments and how it was having to grown up so fast and being the ones we are now. Something struck me when I saw a picture of 3 of us on the night stand of Chloe’s bed.

“Oooh, that was taken when we were at the beach the other day”

“Really? That’s odd; I didn’t recall having anyone snapped our picture that day?” I put it back down and gave a grin to myself.

“Yeah, but Jeremy took it, he said we looked good in any candid shot. So he gave it personally to me. He did told me he was going to give it to you and May though. But I could see he never did huh?”

“Yeah, maybe he just forgets. You know how he is right?”

“Totally, funny how May could tolerate with a guy like that no?” A complete silence was between us, I didn’t want to comment anything about Jeremy because I have nothing to comment or criticize him about anymore. I was at Chloe’s and it felt different not having May around. I was just thinking in the back of my mind, that everything is alright. That May is now having an awesome date with Jeremy.

“Hey” she poked my waist from the back as I stare blindly on her pink curtains that were flowing as the wind breeze made them took flight smoothly.

“Yeah? Hey, I’m hungry do you have any snacks I could munch? No diet stuff alright.” I got down from her bed, Chloe following me as she breathes out heavily I could hear from a couple of steps ahead. Down the stairs through the hallway and went straight to the kitchen and reached out for some cold orange juice and drank them from the carton. I could be very un-lady like when it comes to only around my best girlfriends. The other side of me will fortunately show.

“Where is May anyway??”

“I’m not sure, I texted her. She said she had something up. Maybe just busy kissing and hugging Jeremy right? I mean, you and me know them better. Can’t resist each other” Chloe giggled as she took the juice and drank it after me.

“What about you and Tyler? Not going out?” I couldn’t stand Jeremy and May being the attention of everything. And Chloe and Tyler are just in silence romance that make me want to catch up on their Romeo and Juliet story.

“Well?” patiently waiting for Chloe’s answer while juggling some fake apples near the kitchen counter.

“Well, he’s mysterious. I mean he’s fun. He’s okay...I’m not sure really. Sometimes a little dull. But he’s funny at times too. He could be serious at times too.” Chloe went on and on commenting on her Tyler, and I could tell by the reaction on her face she wants me to think that everything was okay. But I knew it was just a simple okay, but it wasn’t right for she isn’t even sure whether Tyler is the right guy for her. I know Chloe well; she isn’t those girls that rejects guys point blank. She usually likes to give them a shot to prove their gentle skills to her. But most of the time me and May would be the judge and give them a big red chops saying “FAIL”. Chloe might be the tallest, but she isn’t the brightest when it comes to boys, maybe it’s because of how her family raised her.


    “He sounds interesting; I didn’t really had the time to get to know him yet, as he always stuck on you.”

“Well, what about you and Leon, always around each other. I mean you couldn’t last 30 minutes without having he eats beside you the other day?”
In my head was picturing myself chopping Jeremy into pieces using my dad’s large chainsaw for making me feel so embarrass the other day. I went over to the sink to wash my hands and looked over to the trash can that was stuffed with pizza packing, reminded me about Jeremy coming over to my house for pizza.

“Hey Chloe, can I ask you something? If I were like, I mean. Is it okay for someone to be hanging out with someone’s boyfriend? Once in a blue moon or so?” I played with my fingers hoping she wouldn’t sense my weird reasons why I happen to ask this question to Chloe.

“Well, I mean if they’re friends from the start. I don’t think it’s really much of a big deal. Why?” she thought for a moment and gave a snap on her fingers.

“ Ahh, Tyler? Come on Lea, you know I never stopped you from getting to know my boyfriends. It’s the best anyways, at least if he tries to flirt with you. I know he isn’t my type at all”
“I wasn’t talking about Tyler, Chlo..” the conversation between us got more serious. I couldn’t hear anything around us. The surroundings went silence, imagining myself in a thriller drama with drums banging for background music awaits for my words of suspense.

“Jeremy wasn’t sick the other day, he was at my place, having pizza, accompanying me. It’s weird...but the empty pizza box that I threw in the trash can the other day make me realize it wasn’t a dream at all. He was there, with me”

     Chloe was thinking, but she wasn’t saying anything. I’m sure she was thinking what the right words to say were. I know I was trying to figure out how to mention this to May. Should I even?

“Does May know?” a straight forward question right from Chloe’s mouth. I shook my head continuously and nodded while I looked at my reflection on the surface of the counter.

“Come on Lea, loosen up. I’m sure you both never did anything silly right? You guys were just hanging out, eating pizza.  Those are common things, I’m sure May wouldn’t be jealous about that. She isn’t that type you do know right?”

I nodded again, and breathe hot air up my bangs.

“I know, but it was the lying part that bothers me. What if May knows about it one day? Knowing that her boyfriend lied to her, and having him come over to one of her best friend’s place? Which happens to be arch enemies before, and now coming over to hang out with her? It doesn’t make perfect sense to me. Even for May.

Chloe calmed me down with another orange juice from the carton that I decided to just swallow it all and reminding myself that I should go to the ladies before I head home with my bladder definitely hits the check point by now.

“She doesn’t have to know. Maybe Jeremy just needed someone he knows that will always be honest to him. And he just happens to pick you at that time. It’s not your fault you were his chosen one. “ she giggled, trying to make me feel better turning it into a joke.

“ Yeah, maybe you’re right. Promise me you won’t say anything to her?” I hug Chloe tightly and tried very hard not to think about negativity stuff that included the word “break-ups”, “jealousy” and most of all “misunderstandings”. We never had these kinds of problems before. This was the first that involved both my best friend and my her boyfriend. The main reason why I prefer to be enemies with them apart from being actual friends.

“I’m sure when we hang out again, it’ll be another world war field for you and Jeremy” Chloe sounded so confident, made me laugh a little.

      “Honey, did you heat up the soup I told you to?” Chloe’s mum came in unexpectedly made me almost scream to the top of my lungs. She came back from work struggling with two large brown groceries bags.
“Let me get that for you Mrs Crowford”

“Thank you Lea, you know we were just about to have dinner, you could join us if you want to.” She let down her hair that was tied up in a bun before, reminded me of my own mum. Chloe was already nodding her own head for me, insist that I stay over for dinner. I put down the groceries and help to take them out accordingly.

“ It’s alright Mrs Crowford, I should be getting home. Mum is dishing up something. But maybe some other day would do fine.” Chloe was still poking me from the back whispering to my ear asking me to stay for dinner. Her mum caught her weird behaviour and gave her a stare.
“ Chloe, she said next time. Now should Lea to the door, we have some cooking to do. Hurry up now” she clapped her hands, and in minutes I was already at the door.
“ You sure you don’t wanna join us?” Chloe gave me those puppy dogs eyes, no wonder no guys couldn’t resist her. I thought to myself, I gave her a peck on both cheeks and said our goodbyes while I drove home.

      As I was parking my car, I could see that Mum was talking to someone. Two figures that stood beside her, I wasn’t sure who it was. I got down and groom myself a little, and walked up the stairs. I was shocked to find May and Leon was standing right in front of me.
“ Finally, you’re home. They were looking everywhere for you” Mum helped me with my jacket. I looked over to Leon then at May when she looked as pale as a frightened cat. I was wondering what had happened. Especially when she just tilt her head down and sniffed her nose as if she had been crying.

“ Jeremy...” she sobbed. Then she just bends down and cried continuously. Leon caught her in his arms and slowly brought her to the couch nearby. Everyone was in a rush, mum left us three alone. I was already sweating when she brought up Jeremy’s name.

“What happen May? Come on tell me.. Shh...Hushh hush, everything will be alright” I stroked her hair softly and she laid her head on my shoulders. Leon sat next to her and stroke her back continuously too. He reached out for a nearby napkin and gave it to her. I felt so comfortable that Leon was around, and the way he took care of her made me like him even more.

May breathe in and out heavily, then she started bursting out crying again. Leon knew I was worried by just looking at my face and pulled me aside.
“What’s going on? What happen to Jeremy?”
“We don’t know.”Leon bit his lip and his attention went over looking at May as she kept crying.
“What do you mean you don’t know? Something must have happen. Either you tell me now or what? What’s going on?” I frowned.
“Jeremy is missing. May tried to call him a couple of times when she got home after the born fire, but he never did pick up. She called me up to give her a lift to his parent’s house. And they don’t have any idea where he is at.”
I took out my cell phone without listening to any furthermore stories from Leon. I dialled Jeremy’s number. And Leon just held my hands together with my cell phone.
“We tried, we couldn’t get through”
I walked around the room as if I was on fire, an inflammable thing that doesn’t want to be extinguished. I felt small, I felt useless that I couldn’t do anything. No answers that I could give May to tell her where Jeremy would be. I stopped as I looked out the window and blow hot air in my palms and rubbed them on my shoulders. I went over to May that finally stopped crying, just little sobbing sounds. She lay her head on my thigh and I kept her calm.

    “Have you called the police?” I continued.

May nodded her head, I could fell her head rubbing against my thigh. Leon sat next to me calmly.
“ We did, but the police wouldn’t start their investigation. Not until we tell them the precise time Jeremy went missing”
“That’s bullshit! Somebody should do something about this.” I was furious, I wanted to cry. I was worried, and I don’t know why. I kept thinking if only I didn’t had asked Jeremy to go. If only I knew he had problems, just what Chloe said, he picked me to be the one to talk to. And I pushed him away. I felt stupid enough that I was just sitting there trying to make May feel better. And the other mind, was wondering if Jeremy was alright.
     
     May got up and just looked at me and Leon for a longest time without saying a word. She was in a mess, was still in her pyjamas and I could tell she didn’t slept at all when her eye bags were showing. She looked pale in a really white way. She was already fair, and this was actually white.
  
“ I can’t sit here and do nothing. Let’s call the others, we’re going to look for him” I took my car keys and headed to the door. May was running behind me, grabbing my hands tight.
“ I’ll follow you, let me come with.” I looked at May’s condition, and how much I would like her to follow me, I just didn’t agreed that she come with. I told Leon to send her back, it was for the best before she starts fainting before our search for Jeremy even started.

   “ May, you need your rest. Leon will send you home. I’ll look for Jeremy, I promise you. Everything will be alright.” May was pushing Leon away as he try to bring her to the car. But she finally cooled down when I hugged her tight again before I kissed her forehead and waved them goodbye.

    I didn’t know where to search for Jeremy, I started the engine. And tears suddenly fell down my eyes. I hit the steering wheel and put on loud music before I start my journey. I went through quite a few traffic lights but none of that matters to me but to know whether Jeremy was actually safe. I called up Chloe and asked her to mention this to Tyler. Leon was already on the lookout ,Tyler and Chloe went together in the same car. And I’m on my own driving recklessly to nowhere....


No comments:

Post a Comment