Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chapter 3

“I have nothing to wear!! Can I borrow some of your clothes mum?”
Mum was busy doing some lemonade for my baby brother Jeff. Reminded me how sour May’s lemonade was before, I looked away and stuck out my tongue making a small barf sound. Jeff was giggling looking at my facial expression as he held the plastic bottle in his hands and sip the colourful twisted blue straw my mum took from one of the cafe we went to the other day. Jeff was 3 and a half. He speaks well, but he rarely does. He usually prefers to make noises whenever anyone decided to ignore him. His rounded blue eyes and chubby features always make me wanna just squeeze the hell out of him.

“Where are you going? You just came back. And you suppose to babysit Jeff tonight remember? You promised me Lea ”Mum kept the rest of the lemonade juice into the fridge and drank her 
cup of tea while stroking Jeff’s forehead back and forth. I puttered around the counter trying to think of an excuse, but I couldn't think of one and just lifted myself up and sat next to the sink while I kept swinging my legs hitting on to the cabinets making irritating sounds.

“You’re not going” continue sipping her cup of hot tea and wiping Jeff’s mouth with a baby napkin. My mum is not usually strict, she isn’t one of those mum who would go around reading their daughter’s diary or ease dropping on their conference calls just so they could know what their children is actually dealing with but one thing’s for sure. She gets annoyed with the fact if people that happens to break a promise.

“Then, could I bring Jeff along? I promise I’ll be good. I mean we’ll be good. Right baby bro?”I kissed Jeff cheeks and Mum held him up in his arms and handed me the plastic bottle expects me to wash it clean and dry. Then she just walks out of the kitchen. I’m guessing I couldn’t go to the born fire even if I wanted to. A promise is a promise. Maybe they’ll be other days to hang out with them.

“I don’t wanna have this conversation again Lea.” She put Jeff down on a baby chair that was filled with Alphabets printing. Jeff started playing with his music keyboard and all sorts of weird notes were playing through my ears. I sat down on the couch with my legs crossed.
“Okay okay, I’ll look after him tonight. Happy? Where are you and dad going anyways?” I was curious to know even for my parents themselves. I rarely see them spending time with another, and when they do. I just have to know what’s up. Whether is a open way to a good journey or a bad step back for both of them. I wasn’t in their shoes so I never have the intention to know what marriage is all about. Other than big responsibilities they have to handle.
“We’re going to dinner. Your dad says he wants to bring me to a new restaurant in town, called the Rose Petals near uptown, ever heard of it?” she was looking through the drawers below the land phone next the giant lamp stand. Just by the way she’s digging into the drawers; she was definitely looking for her pearls my dad bought for her during their recent wedding anniversary. I wouldn’t say they are not happy. I mean they never really had early morning arguments that would wake me and Jeff up, so I’m glad that never happened. But they rarely have actual conversations. But when they do, it’s either serious or political news about the economics of the world. Either this or that, at least they still talk, though its once a while to even hear both of their voices drilling in my head.

“There it is” she put it around her neck and turned around with a glowing smile on her face, I don’t have to comment on how she looks with it, because I’ll always give her the same statement. My Mum with her brunette long curly hair always tied up in a bun and her puffy red lips. She’s my hot mama, that’s what my friends usually call her whenever my mum picks me up from school. Some of my guy friends even took her as my sister because we own the same height. But I annoyed with that fact because it made me looked older whenever they says that.

“Where are you supposed to go to anyway?”

“You mean tonight?” I yawned and rolled down on the couch.

“Just some born fire party they’re having near the beach”

“Ah, I remember my first born party after graduation, awesome memories. That’s when I met your father though”

“Mum, you do know you’re not helping.” I hide my face with a fluffy pillow and another covering my ears. I could hear mum giggling and going up the stairs in a hurry way. I took out my cell phone and texted Leon about the news, I breathe in and out then I looked at Jeff before I hit the send button. I went over to Jeff and pretend that he was thrice the age already.That he was actually enough to drink booze with me.

“You wanna come with Jeff? Follow your big sis to this born fire party. It’ll be fun. There will be booze, and marshmallows to fire up. So...what do you say?”
 I whispered softly before mum could hear any of my bad influences towards Jeff. But still..
Jeff stared at me with his rounded eyes then he smiled slowly, but he shook his head a couple of times and said “ No...” his saliva was dripping all over. I wiped them off and smirked at him. I can’t fool my own baby brother into having fun. What a loser sister I am. I went back to my cell phone and hit the send button. It was already 7.45pm and mum was already putting on her long brown coat on top of her red strapless gown. I was thinking in my head, she looked like Cameron Diaz in Charlie Angle’s.
A honk was heard just outside the door. Mum struggled with her purse and I opened the door for her.


“That must be dad. Do have fun mum”
“Thanks honey, make sure Jeff goes to sleep early alright? And make sure the alarm will be set on alright? Here’s some cash for pizza. And there’s the number of the restaurant on the kitchen fridge in case you need anything alright?” Mum walked down the doorsteps and she and dad waved to me as they drove off smiling. I could tell they would be coming home late tonight. Wondering what was I supposed to do all night, apart from getting my baby brother to sleep on time.

No messages from anyone. They must be having a tons of fun without me there. I kept picturing in my head everyone laughing and cracking up silly jokes with each other. Burning up marshmallows and drinking booze till they go drunk. I wish I was there right now sitting on a log next to Leon. I missed his company around me.

I ordered some pizza and watched television with my long yellow jammies with my hair all messed up and I couldn’t bother making myself look adorable, because in my eyes. I was always adorable. Jeff was drinking his milk opposite me while lying down holding on to his stuffed alligator puppet I bought for him when he was 2. I kept switching channels cause nothing interesting was on. Looked at the time every 5 minutes and kept imagining the fun that they’re having. Someone was at the door, knocking and knocking. I expected the pizza man to right on time. I reached out for the cash that mum left on the table and headed to the door. I turned the handle and as I opened the door. Jeremy was standing there, with his left hand having a bite on my pizza and his right hand holding on to the box of pizzas. I tilt my head and saw the pizza van already driving off.

“What took you so long?” he barged in and pushed me aside asking me to make way and just walked into my house. I closed to door and grabbed him by his shirt and took the pizza away from him.

“Just what do you think you’re trying to do? And as the matter of fact is, what are you doing here?” I took the box and put it on the kitchen counter while Jeremy was licking his fingers one by one finishing the crumbs of the pizza that was left sticking on his palms.
“The born fire was boring without you. Just thought I would drop by you know?”

“Are you drunk? I mean like really. You do know who I am right?” I grabbed the half eaten pizza and chewed it roughly while giving a sharp stare at Jeremy.
“I’m not, I’m sober enough alright? I didn’t even had booze just now. Just a little, but too little to make me go drunk” headed to the fridge and took out drank some cold mineral water. He took off his cap and sat in front of me. I was still chewing my pizza and opened the rest of them asking him to help himself.
“Thanks for paying for the pizza. You could at least tell me you were coming” I checked on Jeff that was already half asleep. I took his bottle and walked back into the kitchen finding Jeremy eating his second pizza in a flash. I kept wondering in my head why Jeremy was even around me at that moment. He never acted this strange with me till he would come right to my house and now having pizza with me? When everyone is having fun at the beach? Why is he even here? With me?
“Was Leon there?” I hugged my legs tightly in a position to make me look tiny in a curled up ball. “Of course he was, everyone was “

“Oh, did he say anything about me not being there?” I was curious to know a lot that happened in the last 30 minutes of me not being there at the born fire party. Jeremy was still chewing on to the pizza but I could see he was ignoring my question.

“ Hey J, did he? “ He just told me that you won’t be able to make it that’s all”

I was wondering why didn’t Leon come over here like Jeremy did. I was wondering why was Jeremy taking up the space of me when I was alone. I was wondering why Leon didn’t called me up as asked me what went wrong. I was wondering was Leon even thinking of me the way I’m thinking about him at that moment.

“Chill, he doesn’t bond with his cell phone much.Not like as much as me of course.” Jeremy walked over to the sink and washed his hands. Its like he know what I was thinking in my head without even saying a word. I guess I could underestimate him with his brilliant mind reading skills.

“Oh yeah, why are you here again? Does May know you’re here?” I sounded annoyed by the tone of my voice. The voice that I would push people around with doing something they are not comfortable with.

“She knows, she’s busy having fun with the others anyway. So it’s cool. I won’t be long here anyway.”
“Hey, I’m not like throwing you out or anything. But it’s just awkward for you to be here with me.”
“What’s so awkward about having two friends spending time together?” he went over to the hall and stroked Jeff’s forehead making Jeff moved a little irritatedly.

“Stop that, you’ll wake him up”

Jeremy sat on the couch and started texting someone; his loud typing sound on the keypad annoyed me all the time as if he was a businessman busy texting meetings venues. But I know the only client he has was always with May.

“J, stop it. You’ll wake Jeff up!”

“Okay okay mummy” he put his cell phone on the coffee table.

“Does May even know you’re here?” Not that it concerns me, but of course it does. Somehow, I don’t want anyone to be gossiping behind my back especially if it has to be my two best friends Chloe and May. I just didn’t want any misunderstandings girl drama’s that I have to handle in future.

“She does, I just texted her.I told you right?Besides, I’m going to her place after this. Wanna come over?”

“No, I’m fine here. I need to look after my baby brother.My parents would kill me if I walk out on this responsibility”

I stare at the ticking clock as me and Jeremy went into a complete awkward silence. It was the first time Jeremy have the guts to be even sitting calmly next to me. Usually we would be having a pillow fight by now. I remember when May left us for only a couple of minutes and Jeremy was already rolling on the floor after I pushed him down or make him fall or something. Hilarious moments, but Jeremy would only argue with me in words, but never physically.

“I better go, my baby girl will be waiting for me. And I couldn’t let my princess waiting up for me now, not a gentlemen thing to do”

“Since when you care about the gentlemen factor?” I walked him to the door and he stood outside as he asked me to compliment his new shirt that he bought.

“Yeah, you look nice. Tell May I miss her alright?”
“What about me?” he winked at me makes me not want to answer that stupid question.
“Thank you again!!” I shouted from across the garden, and hide my face behind the door hoping no neighbours would shout back at me for being so loud. I see Jeremy from far as he got into his car and waved goodbye to me and drove off shortly after.
The neighbourhood spooked me out, it was like a dead end to nowhere. And no one I know was walking around to even say hi to me, I was hoping that my parents would get back soon before I run around screaming like a mad woman. I took a breather and went back in. My cell phone went ringing.

( May Calling)

I was nervous to pick up the call, I didn’t know why. But I just was. I was thinking at the back of my mind if she wanted to tell me off or something about Jeremy being here hanging out with me while having pizza? I didn’t pick up on the first call, then she called again. I slowly hit the answer 
button and put the phone about I inch from my ear expecting that she would scream her ass off.
“Babe! Where are you at!?”

“I’m at home girl, I thought you knew? Jeremy was just....”

“Yeah I know you are at home, what are you doing there? You were supposed to be here like 40 minutes ago?”
Great, they only noticed I was gone after 40 minutes, how flattering it is.
“Yeah, but I sent Leon a text before. I told him I couldn’t make it.Besides.. Jeremy was just”
“Jeremy didn’t came either, he was having a cold. My poor baby boy”
I stopped for a moment there, and make me repeat May’s words in my own mind. “ Flu? Jeremy?” I wasn’t drunk that I’ll be seeing Jeremy’s soul just floating by and having pizza with me just earlier. I kept my mouth shut and May’s on the other line with the background music blowing up her cell phone speakers.

“ Hey babe, I better go. Its sad you guys are not here though. I’ll call you later.”

“ WE LOVE YOU BABE” Chloe and May shouted together in the background.

I put down my cell phone and just thought to myself over and over why did Jeremy had to lie to me about being here? Was it on purpose? But why? I didn’t wanna think about anything for that moment and just stared at my snoring baby brother tossing and turning. I picked up his stuffed alligator and put it under his arms and cover him up with a blanket. I sat down on a tall stool in the kitchen and decided to call Leon.

“Hello?”

“Hey...you busy?”

“Heyy babe, nope, not really. Sorry to hear that you couldn’t come though. Wish you were here”

“Yeah, me too.” I sighed heavily.

“You okay? You sound disappointed ?”

“Nah, I’m fine. Just missed you that’s all.”

“Aawww, that’s sweet. I’m sorry for not replying your text though. I don’t really look at my cell phone much. If you know what I mean?” he giggled.

“Its fine, I better not keep you on line much. Just wanted to know how the party was doing”

“Oh okay babe, anything just let me know aite? See ya.”

“See ya”
  
I lay on the couch and looked up at the ceiling, not wanting to think about what happened earlier. Mum called my name a couple of times as she came in with her arms around dad’s.
“Hey..how was the dinner?”

“Dinner was great, have you eaten yet honey?” Dad took mum’s coat and put it in the closet 
beside the door. “Yeah I did, some pizzas.”

“I better go upstairs and get some sleep”

I walked to my pink comfort bed and lay hard into a dead sleep snoring like there was no tomorrow at all to look forward to.
I checked my cell phone and I wanted to text Jeremy, which was odd. But I didn't had the guts to do so. I felt guilty in a way. But why should I?

No comments:

Post a Comment