Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chapter 5


I stopped at one of the nearby cafe’s and turned off my engine just as I saw two policemen driving by in front of me, I didn’t want to get my license be suspended for no reason now would I? I breathe in and out in a very impatient way that I wished I wasn’t breathing at all. I looked to my left when I saw a group of friend just coming out from the main door of the cafe. Hugging each other side to side and seeing their facial expression they were all having a blast I’m sure. Reminded me of how we were together. May, Chloe, Tyler, Leon, Me and just.
“Jeremy” said to myself as I breathe out another long hot air up my bangs before I hit my head softly on the steering wheel. My cell phone rang and my ringtone was blasting but to me my ears were as deaf as it could be. I let it rang for 3 times before I had the strength to pick it up.
“Yes..” I didn’t even cared about who was on the line, I didn’t even look at the screen of my cell before I hit the answer button using my own hands instinct.

“Babe, where are you at?” It was Leon on the other line, I quickly lifted up my head and looked at my cell phone screen to double checked if it was really Leon. I cleared my throat before I could answer him nicely. I didn’t want him to think that I was rude or anything.

“Yes Leon, found anything yet?”

“Not really, May gave us the list of the place they went together before, and ...just noting” he sighed. “ What about you Lea? Anything? Where are you anyway?”

“I’m at....I have no idea actually. Just in front of some cafe.” I was to lazy to reach my head out of the window to see the signboard sign. I unfasten my seat belt and looked around. And saw Leon’s car just passing by. I honk immediately a couple of times.

“Heyy, turn around..! I saw you. You just drove passed me”

The call ended and I got down from my car. I leaned hard on my car when a kid that was cycling almost ran over me passing through like lighting. Leon parked his car right behind mine, getting down with Chloe and Tyler following from behind. Chloe gave me a hug and asked me if I was okay. I nodded and threw a fake smile to them.

“ You sure you have looked all over the place?”

“Just those places that May listed here on the paper.” Tyler handed the piece of paper that was scribbled with May’s writing and I could find a few patches of tear drops on it. May couldn’t stop tearing up, could tell how much she loves Jeremy.

“Is this all?” asked again.

“Yeah, that’s it. Or you guys have other places in mind?” Tyler staring at everyone then stared back at his cell phone checking on any messages that he hadn’t read. Leon came standing next to me brushing my hair back when some of it were distracting my eye sight.

“Well, you guys are his best buddies right? I mean you both definitely know him better than me and Chloe do.  I’m sure there must be some kind of hang out place you guys go to together? The place where only three of you know” I continued looking through the scribbled writings.

“Oh yeah, there is a place....what’s that place call again...” Tyler gave us some sign languages that only he would understand. His hands that kept flying everywhere  trying to explain to us. Leon was following the flow of his hands with his head circling around too, trying to figure out what Tyler was trying to say.

“Dude, you’re making me dizzy. Spit it out!” said Leon as he put his hand on his head to stop it from circling.

“Hey don’t look at me alright. I’m not the only one who his best friend is okay?” said Tyler impatiently. Chloe stood in front of Tyler hugging him and putting his hands around her waist before they actually start an argument. I did the same with Leon as I pulled him back close to me.

“Enough guys, let’s just figure this out together” I said softly.

“I got it! “ Tyler clapped his hands together.

“Yeah, the waterfall!” continued Leon.

“And and the woods” said Tyler

“The bridge! And cottage! “ said Leon excitedly.

They were finishing each other sentences, Chloe and me tried to figure out place where it interacts with the woods, a waterfall and a bridge. And we got nothing in our heads.
“Guys, it’s good that you figured it out. Mind telling us where is the place so we could start our journey?”Chloe spoke up while putting her arms around Tyler’s shoulder.

“If I’m not mistaken, it’s called Wishes Falls. Is that right Leon?” asked Tyler.

“It’s the Wisdom Falls stupid.” Leon said confidently still gripping my hands tight. It was great to have them around me at this moment; I never would knew where to go. I would never knew where to find Jeremy at this time. The skies went a little darker, and we were already looking at each other.

“We should go now, it’s getting dark” Leon threw his car keys making Tyler catch it while he and Chloe went into Leon’s car. Leon took my car keys from me and went into my car and started the engine. I was still figuring out what just happen.

“Well, I’m not going to let you go alone now am I? Get in.” Leon smiled and opened the door from the other side. I got in and we drove off together. It was a chilly night. According to Leon and Tyler the place was mostly like a dead end, no one really goes there anymore. Some said it was haunted, making the chills in me just went freezing cold as I could hear werewolves howling. And looking up at the big perfect rounded moon, reminded me of all those scary movies I used to watched with my parents when I was young. But they were usually busy making out and leaving me hanging on to the popcorns and screaming the top of my lungs when something ugly poops out in front of the television screen.

“You’re okay?” Leon rubbed his hand on my cheek making me stare at him and gave out a smile.” I’m fine, let’s just hope Jeremy is” answered

“He will be okay, he’s a survivor. I’m not saying I’, not, but he usually is the most courageous one among me and Tyler of course” his tone sounded disappointed with himself, it was a rare thing for a guy to compare himself to others. I guess Leon do have a soft side when it comes to buddies.

“I’m sure you’re more courageous than anyone I know” trying to make him feel better, giving him a broad smile. He looked at me and looked back at the highway, I could tell he was blushing; his face went a little pink on the sides.

“Are you really sure that Jeremy will be there?” I asked as I breathe out heavily thinking that something bad will happen to him “ Let’s just keep our fingers cross alright? Everything will be find” gripping my hands tight as he turned the wheels and stopped on the side of the road. Tyler did the same with the car spotlight still shinning bright into our eyes as me and Leon got down from the car.

“Dude, turn it off would you?” Leon walked to his car bringing out torches. He only had 3. So me and Leon had one each and Tyler and Chloe handled with one. Tyler was playing a full, kept shining the light beneath his face making him look like one of those gargoyles in bad ghost movies. Chloe was irritated enough that she decided to follow me with.

“Oh come on babe, I’m sorry. Okay, I’ll stop alright?” Tyler came pulling Chloe’s hands making her lead the way instead, putting the torch in her hands.

“Okay guys, just follow me alright? Everyone, please do cling to each other in a straight line” 

Leon decided to lead the way, didn’t fully trust Tyler with his silly jokes along the way. Afraid that he will only get us all lost in the woods, at this hour. Who the hell knows where we are at anyway. I took out my cell phone and put it as high as I could to find a signal. I kept tapping on the cell phone screen as if that would make the signal go better. But nothing.

“Come on, the sooner we get Jeremy, the sooner we go home. Everything will be fine” Leon turned his back to me when he knew I wasn’t following them from behind. He grabbed hold on to my hand, and my right hand was holding on to his shirt, trying to stop him from getting into the woods as the twigs and the howling of the werewolves were creeping the crap out of me. “Don’t worry, I’m here.” Leon turned his head and smiled, making me feel a little better. I told myself that everything will be fine. Inside, I was  already cursing Jeremy for going missing and hiding in the woods. If he really is in Wisdom Falls. No one really knows, just hope for us all.

Chloe was right behind me holding on to my sweater, and Tyler was holding on to her hand the last of our train line. The skies were getting darker, I could only see a big dark patches around me make me feel like I was actually blind. I kept imagining myself lost in the woods at that hour; damn I would so kill myself.

Tyler squealed from the back making Chloe scream and making me scream while hugging Leon from the back.

“What the fuck Tyler!” Leon tilts his head and turn around shinning his torch towards Tyler. I didn’t even look and kept closing my eyes gripping Leon’s shirt tight as hell. A little more tightly my hands would rip off his shirt point blank. That’s how frightened I was.

“Sorry guys, a twig poked me man.. ! ” Tyler rubbed his bottom annoyed.

“Everyone, just chill okay? We’re almost there...- You okay Lea?” he looked down to me that was still gripping his shirt tightly, I just nodded and let loose his shirt a little and continued our journey. I could hear a big slap on the back making Tyler shouted as Chloe hit him for making us screamed like that.

Our footsteps got slower and slower and more twigs were getting in our way. It was like a 25 minutes’ walk, and I was praying real hard that no rain would come pouring down on us at that moment. “Are we there yet?” I whispered softly and took down my hood of my sweater. I looked like the villagers movie with hood on though.

“ I see it..! Turn left Leon! “Tyler shouted from the back, pointing his fingers and asking us to go left. I could already her to splashing sounds of the waterfall hitting on the rocks, and the smell of fresh water flowing down the stream. We walked a little further more till we reached a bridge. You know those bridges that are made of strong ropes and knots all tied up together that would totally snap any moment if we would go over weight.

“Great, more adventure for us...” Chloe wiped her sweat from her forehead down her pants.
“What now?” I was still clinging on to Leon, hoping that there would be just another way instead of using this old typical bridge that would just snap any moment.

“ Alright, two by two then. Tyler, you get Chloe. I’ll go with Lea after you guys” Leon shone his light towards the bridge holding on to me. Chloe walked by me and I told her to be careful as she grabbed hold on Tyler. The rope was already shaking even when Tyler put his hands on them.
“One foot at a time guys, easy out” Leon said as he went closer to them making sure everything is okay till they get to the other side. It was so freaking scary by just looking at them both. But Chloe was getting the hang of it, and Tyler was really holding on to her tight. They looked like Tarzan and Jane in some posses too. My eyes kept following their every move, till they finally reached the other side.

Tyler swung his hands with the torch waving side to side to let us know its cleared.

“Okay, you ready?” I shook my head continuously. Leon kissed my forehead and pulled me up. “ I can’t...! “ I pulled his hands back and looked down at the water.

“There aren’t any crocodiles or anything right?” I imagined myself being a dinner in one of those green reptiles that I hate really much, with their sharp teeth just biting into my legs, snapping them off one by one. Gosh, all those cruelty an animal could do to humans.

“Come on, you’ll be fine. I’m more courageous man remember?” Leon smiled and I swallowed my saliva as I took a step and one step forward following Leon from the back. “You can do it baby! Woo hoo!!”  Chloe cheering like a mad woman made me want to finish this faster. Finally reached the check point..

“Come on, the cottage is just ahead. “Tyler leaded us. The cottage was just next to the waterfall, not a very big cottage but it was presentable. The cravings of the wood were well-done and could tell their parents had good taste for giving their son a good hideout place. “Let’s split up” Chloe followed Tyler going through behind the cottage. Leon looked around the electrical room. And I went up the stairs slowly, making little squeaking sounds. I looked into the cottage through the dusty window and shone in it, everything seemed to have not moved. All the furniture were covered with white cloth and nothing was moving. “ Hmm, Jeremy. Where are you?” said to myself as I tried turning the door knob, but the door was locked.

I could hear Tyler and Leon yelling out Jeremy’s name from the back, I was about to turn around when suddenly someone pushed me against the door with a hand over my mouth to stop me from screaming. I struggled to break loose but then the stranger finally spoke. “ 

Lea..Lea...shhh....” I opened my eyes and faced the torch towards the figure. “ Je....e..my?” I wasn’t pronouncing anything right with his hands over my mouth. “ Hushh, follow me”  he grabbed my hands and lead me down the stairs bringing me next to this big old scary tree  a little further from the cottage.

“What are you doing here?” Jeremy asked angrily.

“Me? I should be asking you! Do you know that everyone was worried sick about you!!  And you left May crying like hell? What about your parents? And the police!!?” I shouted and made Jeremy covered my mouth with his hands again.

“I’m sorry about this. I never meant to trouble anyone. Or to hurt May. But I just had to be away. Just for a while. I’ll be back tomorrow, I promise.” He bends down and just sat there leaning against the odd looking tree. I sat next to him never wanted to say anything but to hear his explanation before I would make another mistake and making him run off again. “What’s going on Jeremy?” I looked at him, and wanted to give him a hug, but I know it wasn’t the right thing to do.

“I’ll tell you some other day, just promise me you won’t tell the others..that you found me?” I quickly stood up and stomp my foot on the ground hard.

“What do you mean? Jeremy, they’re worried sick about you. Everyone thought you’re dead or something. I thought you were dead!” I calmed myself down when I see Jeremy sitting there so quietly facing his head down. He looked like a mess. I sat my ass back down and breathe out heavily.

“Okay I promise, but...You have to promise me that you’ll appear tomorrow okay.”
“Thanks Lea, just try stall them to bring this up as a police case okay?”
I sighed and just nodded my head slowly forcing myself to agree with this idea. I could hear Leon and Chloe’s voice from far, yelling out my name.

“ Lea...!! Lea.......!!! Where are you ...!!?? Lea...>!! “

“ You better go, I don’t want them to see me here.” Jeremy got up and brushed away those dry leaves that were sticking on his bottom.

“Okay, just.. take good care of yourself okay?” I couldn't help myself and gave him a friendly hug and wanted to let go, but Jeremy’s hand pushed me against him made me hugged him a little tighter. I could feel he needed someone, but I couldn’t stay here with him.

“Thanks” were the last words I hear from him as I quickly ran towards Leon and Chloe that were busy yelling out my name.

“ Where have you been? I was worried about you.” Leon leaned towards me kissing my forehead.

“ I thought I saw something, it was just some bird. Any luck guys?”

All three of them shook their head disappointedly. Chloe was yawning, Tyler decided that all of us should get home and begin the search again the next morning.

“ Come on..” Leon grabbed my hand, and I looked back and saw a little glimpse of Jeremy hiding behind the tree waving at me. I smiled at looked back at Leon before heading our journey home.

“ He’ll be fine” I suddenly spoke up as we were in the car. Leon looked at me in surprise. “ Funny, you were really worried about him, and now you’re so sure about his condition? Good ! Positive thinker is what I like in a girl “ said Leon as he stepped on full speed ahead.
 We reached at my house, Tyler parked just right behind us, changing seats with Leon for him to take over the wheel. Leon passed me the keys to my car and rubbed my cheeks again.

“ You’ll be alright?” he asked in a worried tone.

“ I’m fine, have a safe journey home alright?” Chloe was waving me goodbye at the back of the seat, and Tyler just took his hands up to me. While Leon blew me a kiss before he headed to the road.

I wanted so bad to just get back into my car and head to Wisdom Falls and just keep Jeremy company. But I know I shouldn’t. I couldn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment