Friday, February 18, 2011

Chapter 6

“Honey, you’ve got to eat something” Mrs Ferrara, May’s mum was calming May down in the next room trying to feed her some oat meal that now was cold, she had cooked a while earlier.
 Holding on to the spoon that was half filled with oat meal reminded me when my granny was sick as hell and everyone had to bud in and feed her accordingly with fluids and liquids is the only prescription the doctor had told us to follow. The cold oat meal still hadn’t been touched or tasted by May’s lips. She kept turning away not wanting to face her mother or any of us. We
 stood by the door way  just to keep an eye on her from far.  “She has not been sleeping, nor eating guys” her mum sighed and closed the door before us as she led us down the hallway near the foyer. I looked over to the opposite side of the road watching some kids playing ball that afternoon. Something caught my eye when I saw a flyer that had Jeremy’s face printed on it. A pink flyer which stated there “Missing Person, Please call May ( digits )”.

“Is that...?” I pointed to the flyer right down the streets there; it was not that further away just a few feet away. I bit my fingers, wasn’t sure what I saw but it got Mrs Ferrara walking towards it.

“Oh golly me, I thought I got it all already” May’s mum headed along the streets and pulled out that flyer while crushing it like a good old waste and throwing it into a nearby trash can. I, Leon and Tyler were curious why she had acted that way, but our judgements weren’t needed at that time. “I’m sorry about that guys, I just think it’s better for the police to handle this case you know? We can’t go around sticking flyers about missing Jeremy without his parent’s consent. May’s been up all night printing those flyers and sticking them up along the streets. I and Mr Ferrara had to take it all down one by one last night. It was a mess and just troublesome. Let’s just hope that was the last we saw of it.” She looked into the trash can to make sure that the flyer won’t fly its way out. We went back to the house, and Mrs Ferrara excused herself to make some cold drinks for us, while we just have our fresh air right outside the foyer.

“Guys, this is getting serious than I thought. I mean look at how May’s reacting man?” Tyler put his hands down on the fence and grabbing them as he shook his head continuously. “She’s going mad. I mean, I totally could tell” his foot kept tapping on the surface of the foyer in some kind of beat I never heard before.

“We got to do something, I know he’s got to be there. He just has to.” Leon sat heavily on the bench next to the main door.

“What? Wisdom Falls? We went there remember? Nothing! It’s just not like him to wander off in some place you know? We’re like brother’s man! He usually tells us everything” Tyler squatted down and messed up his spiky hair. I kept quiet looking how the boys reacted, imagined how May was doing in her room upstairs. I couldn’t say anything but to keep my mouth shut and wait for Jeremy to finally show up in front of us. And make their worries go away.

“Look, I’m not going to seat here and do nothing alright? I’m going to the police, it’s more than 24 hours since he’s been gone. You guys coming or what?” Leon headed to his car in a flash Tyler following him from the back. I ran to them to stop them from making a mistake, when I know in the back of my mind Jeremy will be showing up anytime. Only time will tell. But the problem is, it’s a secret I must keep.

“Guys, stop!!” I grabbed hold of Tyler’s and Leon’s hands making them faced me in a grin. 

“Look, we should just wait. I’m sure Jeremy will be fine. I’m sure of it” I pleaded them to get back up into May’s house, pleaded them that we would wait for Jeremy’s return. Tyler pushed my hands away and continued walking towards Leon’s car, waiting for Leon to open the car door impatiently. He tapped on the car’s rooftop continuously getting louder and louder “ Well Leon? I’m waiting. Hurry up man!”

Leon didn’t push my hands away, but he held up both my hands and put it on his chest, making me feel his heart beat. He looked into my eyes deeply. Trying to find the right words to say to me before he goes. I looked down and knew I couldn’t say anything from stopping them to the police station. I let go of his hands and just crossed my arms, pressing them against my chest and frowned.

“I’m sorry, but we have no choice. Tyler is right; we have got to do something about this. The police will be a big help” explained Leon in a soft tone.

Tyler came stomping angrily on the ground and gave a slight push on my shoulders. “Who do you think you are telling Leon or me what need or not to be done? Look, we know you and Jeremy might not be cool with each other but at least have some sense in your head would ya? Tyler gave me a fierce look, snapping  me with his words saying how ungrateful I am, and how unsympathetic I am towards Jeremy. His eye popping out and gave a stare at me. Leon pushed him back asking him to calm himself down.” Dude enough” Tyler went around Leon, and shouted right in front of my face again continuously. “You never cared about Jeremy before. So why should we ask for your permission about how we should look for him?!” he sounded so serious that I couldn’t defend myself but took a step back. I lifted my head up and breathe out heavily before saying anything. Seeing how Tyler actually sees in me, I could tell that Jeremy has been talking about me to them. Looking at Leon that was still calming Tyler down just makes me have a second shot on why he was different to me.

“I most certainly do care about Jeremy! And we arguing right now wouldn’t solve anything!” I screamed from the top of my lungs. Leon just looked away still holding Tyler back before Tyler would just come up and attack me so suddenly. It was a hot air for me and Tyler, he looked so different and so tensed and I never see him react so emotional this way before, especially when it comes to Jeremy.

“Stop your acts Lea, Jeremy tells us both how you hated him. And you ...” he walked closer to me whispering in my ear. “Still hates him doesn’t you?”  Leon pushed him back again as hard as he could that made Tyler fell hard on the ground.

“Enough! This has nothing to do with Lea!” Leon shouted. I wanted to shed, looking at the scenes of how having Jeremy vanished like that could affect so many people around him, and he doesn’t even know it. “Where are you Jeremy?” I thought to myself. 

Tyler got up just as we heard a scream from upstairs. Clearly it was the scream of May. We ran upstairs budging down the door to find Mrs Ferrara holding back May on the bed, gripping her hands tight leaving her laying there on the bed, kicking and screaming reminded me about one of those exorcism movies in late nights they usually play on television on Halloweens. She almost looked like she was possessed. Her room was a complete mess, papers and books were just laying all over across the room. I helped Mrs Ferrara to calm May down. Leon and Tyler did the same holding her hands down.

 “ I want Jeremy ! Get me Jeremy Lea, get me Jeremy!!” she screamed as tears just fell right down her eyes and she pushed her mum away and hugged me tight. I finally got her to calm down by brushing her hair softly and singing her a childhood song that suddenly went through my mind.

“ Lay in the bed, both sorrow and silence. Covered in blankets..under the stars.~..”

“Pack all your dollies, bring home to me, we’ll play under the midnight when the storms had come.~.” continued May and she sobbed while singing in an awful tune. I was like her big sister, and she needed me bad at that time. Singings to her one of our childhood songs make me realize we never really grown up after all. Sometimes childhood memories could calm us more easily in reality.

Leon and Tyler stood by the window looking out and just not saying anything to each other. Not even to me. I looked at how frustrated Leon was, I wanted so bad to tell them the truth about Jeremy, but no words came out.

“He’s alright right? Jeremy is fine right?” May held my hands tight, gripping it firmly. Not letting go. I stroke her hair back and told her everything is fine. A knock on the door was heard, I was expecting Mrs Ferrara to be bringing up some drinks as she promised to make for us earlier. But someone unexpected came.

“Jeremy!!” Leon and Tyler shouted
and went straight hugging Jeremy making three of them fall on the ground rolling around the carpet. May left me on the bed as she jumped excitedly into Jeremy’s arms kissing him repeatedly. I was relieved that he got back just at the right time before May practically drives herself insane. I didn’t hug him, nor approached him, but just sat there on May’s bed and just smiled to myself.

“Baby!! I was worried sick about you! Thank god you’re okay!! Where have you been huh?” May pulled up his shirt, trying to look for any bruises or things like that she hope would never happen to Jeremy. Leon and Tyler kept punching Jeremy on the chest in a playful way for making them freak out like that. I didn’t want to ruin the love scene between best buddies and her adorable girlfriend. Everything was alright, and I didn’t want to get in the way. I walked out of the room, giving them privacy and headed downstairs.

Someone was chasing me from behind, quick steps were coming down the stairs and some just grabbed me by my arm.

“Hey...I just want to say I’m sorry about being such a jerk to you. I didn’t mean any harm.”Tyler took out his hand, expecting me to shake it. “Friends?”
I shook his hands repeatedly and gave him a slight smile. 
We let go of our hands as Mrs Ferrara came in smiling with a tray of fresh juices. All in beautiful glasses and mini umbrella like one of those martinis’s we would have in the sunsets of Hawaii. How I’ve always wanted to go there. Mrs Ferrara looked up to us then stared up the stairs “ Everything should be okay now right?” knew in her head that she was just relieve for the sake of not having her baby May daughter screw herself up for no reason again.  Me and Tyler just nodded and took the drinks and thanking her.

“ You should call Chloe, tell her about the good news” I sip the drink and just felt it flowing down my throat make me go “ Ahhhh~”. Tyler took out his cell phone and started typing a text to Chloe. I felt alone at that very moment. Knowing that Jeremy is back and May wouldn’t want to leave the room for now. And Leon? Just happens to be still stuck in the room with them. I felt not needed and wanted to headed out for the door.

“ Lea..where are you going?”  May coming down the stairs while clinging onto Jeremy’s arms. Her smile was showing so beautifully and her face was not as pale as before. Leon was coming down the stairs behind them. I closed back the door and turned around. “ Nowhere “ I smiled a lousy smile.

“ Not nowhere, she was about to go home” Tyler speak up. I had the sensation of eyes boring into my neck. I stared at Tyler and gave him and twisted my mouth to let him know he will be in trouble dealing with me.

“Home, already?” Jeremy looked at his watch, wriggling it making it loosen up at the point of his wrist. “ Come on, we’re celebrating Jeremy’s return. We’re going to the new opened restaurant in town. Called....” May looked at Jeremy, asking him to answer it for her as she is still figuring out what was the answer.

“Rose Petals” answered Leon that came standing beside me and holding my hands. I caught Jeremy eyeing on my hands then stared back at May. I didn’t know why I felt different at that time or what that glare suppose to mean. But I expected it to be nothing, but a flawless stare. “Oh, Rose Petals? My parents went there the other day. Are you sure its open for teenagers? I mean, it sounded like a romantic place.” I didn’t want to end up in a romantic cuisine served with white sparkling wine and just divine proportions of tiny food on my plate. I rather be at a diner we usually ate at like the steak house down town and just stuff some giant cheeseburgers down my mouth. “I’m sure it’s open to all, we’re not that wild, right Tyler?” asked Jeremy. Tyler just smirked at all of us while opening the door. “ I can’t promise you guys that I won’t be wild” he jump down the stairs and opened his arms stretching them up high. I went back in and thank May’s mum before heading out and gathering with them again. “So what do you say? You joining?” asked Jeremy.

“ Well I..” I already had some good excused lines to be used at that moment but was flaunted right out my chest when Leon was doing most of the decisions for me.

“Of course she is, right babe?” he kissed my forehead and Jeremy just took May’s hand and walked to his car. “ Right, we’ll meet there guys” shouted May from far. I didn’t have a choice, I was already seated and were already heading to up town.

        “ Dude, you called Chloe yet?” Jeremy asked with one of his arm over behind May’s chair and the other on the table playing with the fork, spinning it around. I looked over to the other sides, and everyone was in elegant dresses and just poise position that I have never got encountered before. The restaurant was as white as pearls, I almost had to put on my shades the minute I set foot in that place. Everybody seemed like those elegant right bastards that I call Dutch and spoiled brats even. They were eyeing on our every step, in my head was just “ told you guys we shouldn’t come here!” but then, who am I to say for all this crazy people right?
“Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy GUYYYS!” Chloe came budging into the main door for a great entrance that got some of the kids giving applause to her. Despite her beautiful dark green short cock tail dress and her curled long hair tied on the sides, she looked like a diva. 

She came hugging everyone and gave a big smooch for Tyler that couldn’t stop adoring her beauty. He was already drooling on the napkin that was clinging on to his neck. Chloe was the only girl that had the time to get dress for the right occasion and the right place. But 5 of us weren’t. Just in our jeans and shirts and me and my singlet and denim shorts. No wonder everyone was looking.

 I hide my face with the Menu that had only 2 pages on. And the price was of course phenomenal that got me checking into my purse for butterflies to be flying out.

“ So Ladies and Gentlemen, what can I get you today? a tall thin waiter came to our table with a crooked smile on his face. It was creepy, he looked like an evil dentist to me somehow.  “ I’ll have the chicken “. 
“ Me too ! 
“ Me three..” 
“ Count me in! “

“Okay just stop, we’ll all have chicken. And get me two bottles of your finest champagne” stated Jeremy as he handed all our Menu’s back to the waiter.
“ Very good sir” the waiter walking away making me realize he didn’t had any bottom, it was straight flat.

“Where have you been Jeremy? Where were you?” asked everyone passing the question around the table back to Jeremy. I of course didn’t have to ask any when I already knew them answers. But it was my job to just play cool and go with the flow. I sip my champagne and put the glass down in the most poise way I could while staring at Jeremy awaiting for his answer to everyone.

“I crashed at my cousin’s place. He had some personal problems. You know how guys are right?”

I stared closely at him and smirked a little trying to give him the sign that he was a really really bad liar, but I’m sure he already knows that himself. Jeremy noticed my stare and just continue finding out the words to explain. “ We talked all night, and my cell was out of batteries so I was tired and things just went.....”

“ I could tell you’re lying.” Suddenly Tyler snapped. Everyone looked over to Jeremy and May just end the whole thing by just saying “ Who cares what happen, as long as he’s alright right baby?” she gave him a big kiss on the cheeks.
“ Nah! I’m just playing, we’re glad you’re back dude!” Tyler gave a big pat on Jeremy’s shoulder, shaking his body side to side.

The chicken came shortly after. Just some roasted chicken with maple syrup and wedges on the sides with some salad toppings. Nothing fancy, but everyone was hungry so we just dig in minding our own business. “ Excuse me for a moment” Jeremy walked to the gents, puttering around the table to make his way through.
I shrieked when my cell phone suddenly was vibrating down my thigh.
( Message from Jeremy )

I looked up to May that was still chewing her wedges then looked over to Leon that was busy chatting with Chloe and Tyler. I looked back at my plate before looking back at the screen of my phone.

Text Message:
Meet me at the Lily Garden at dawn tomorrow. We need to talk. – J –


Before I could even reply, Jeremy was already seated back at the table and cutting his chicken into small pieces and swallowing them slowly. I kept staring at him, but he never looked my way. All I know is, things just got complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment